Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It's a blustery day in the Hundred Acre Hell. . .

Fact: You can't stand under my umbrella (ella ella), actually. But, to be fair, neither can I. (see link to understand why and note that my own struggle was no where near as cheery or colorful)

What a miserably cold and rainy day. . .the perfect addition to this sickening week. Though, how I could have expected much else is beyond me. All of which I am sure is that I have not been so well acquainted with Pepto-Bismol and woolen socks in quite some time.

Anyway. . .while browsing for wind-assaulted bumbershoots to accompany this post, I came across three essentially otherwise unrelated points of intrigue (to me), the first being the Wikipedia article from which I snagged the word "bumbershoot". Sure, it's a Wikipedia article, and, sure, it's an article about umbrellas, but that doesn't mean it's completely disenchanting. I mean, come on. . .it's a little interesting (and a lot ridiculous) that the insane number of umbrella-related patents that are presently being filed to the U.S. Patent Office is enough to employ four full-time examiners to review them, right? Eh. . .

Additionally, while searching for a clip of only the first minute and twenty seconds of this long segment of Mary Poppins (for obvious reasons, given the weather), I was shocked to discover that this long segment, along with the other eleven needed to present the entire film, were, in fact, available on YouTube. While a part of me is pleased to have this well-loved door to my childhood made so readily accessible, I also can't help but feel somewhat guilty for the denying of any funds or recognition that watching this movie via this video-sharing site may cause. Don't (not for one second!) get me wrong--I love free media as much as the next person and often despite whether or not the law does. It is just for this case that some shame accumulates as I cannot help but think of the beautiful Julie Andrews. Has she not lost enough at it is?

Finally and perhaps least relevant, I discovered this photo. I like it. That is all.


-Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment